Several sleeping positions range from stomach sleeping, side sleeping, and back sleeping. All these sleeping positions have some health benefits and drawbacks. The back sleeping position is the most recommendable, and the stomach sleeping position is the least recommended. While side sleeping is not a popular sleeping position, it poses several health benefits with the proper body alignment, just like the back sleeping position.
Different people have different sleeping styles, from curling like a ball to swirling across the bed. Either way, your sleeping position tells much about your personality and can pose health threats or benefit your body.
Health Benefits Of Side Sleeping
- Sleeping with your body correctly alignments reduces joint and low back pains associated with severe complications like fibromyalgia.
- Reduces snoring, a symptom of obstructive sleep apnea, causes distractions in breathing, leading to severe complications like heart attack, diabetes, and other cognitive issues.
- Side sleeping helps the digestive system function better, easing gastrointestinal problems like heartburn, constipation, and bloating.
Drawbacks Of Side Sleeping
The main drawback of side sleeping is that you exert a lot of pressure on your legs and arms, leading to a severe health complication (carpal tunnel syndrome). Also, side sleeping can cause shoulder pains. However, you can prevent the side sleeping drawbacks by starting with the left side then shifting to the right side or sleeping in different positions throughout the night.
Which Is The Best Side To Sleep On Right or Left?
You see, sleeping on your left side has the most benefits to your overall health. When you sleep on your left side, your organs get rid of toxins while you sleep. However, either side offers benefits in reducing sleep apnea and relieving chronic lower back pain.
Good Side Sleeping Practices
- Use a medium-firm mattress and a firm pillow below your head.
- Shift over to your left side first while your ears should align with your shoulders and ensure that your chin is neutral.
- Make sure to keep your arms and hands below your face and neck
- Put a firm pillow between your legs to align your spine and prevent joint and hip pain.
- To reduce pressure on your back, lift your knees toward your chest.
Sleepwell Is the Key to A Good Night’s Rest
With over 85 years in business, Sleepwell has been supplying consumers and retailers with the highest quality mattresses and bedding products in the industry. Sleepwell is a family-owned company that knows the true value of a good night’s rest and what it takes to achieve it. Our experts know how to match every customer with the right products. We service Maryland, Delaware, Washington, D.C., New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, and Tennessee. You can reach us at 301‐322‐1000. Also, be sure to follow Sleepwell on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter.